Skip to main content

Environmental Health And Safety

Open Main MenuClose Main Menu

Chemical Odor Complaints

Oklahoma State University is dedicated to providing the safest and most productive workplace environment. OSU supports a myriad of functions that range from administrative and clerical duties to animal care, research, and education. This combination of activities will sometimes bring about odor complaints.


Odors can come from many different sources. The majority of indoor air quality complaints can be tied to the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems. HVAC systems are designed primarily for controlling temperature, humidity, odors, and air quality. If you suspect an HVAC issue, call the Facility Maintenance Action Desk at (405) 744-7154.


What to do

  • If you smell strong, acutely irritating or suspected life-threatening odors such as strong burning smells or visible smoke, leave the area at once and call 911 or the OSU Police Department at (405) 744-6523.
  • If you smell chemicals, natural gas, electrical burning smells or any other non-life-threatening odors, call Environmental Health and Safety at (405) 744-7241. Someone will come to the area to measure the oxygen content and carbon monoxide, methane and hydrogen sulfide levels. An attempt will be made to locate the source and coordinate an appropriate response.



  • Emergency: 911 or OSU Police Department at (405) 744-6523
  • Environmental Health and Safety: (405) 744-7241
  • Facility Maintenance Action Desk: (405) 744-7154
Back To Top
SVG directory not found.