Skip to main content

Environmental Health And Safety

Open Main MenuClose Main Menu

Other Disposal Topics

Light Bulbs

Under federal regulations, the university is required to manage mercury-containing light bulbs as hazardous waste after they burn out. DO NOT throw burned-out flourescent bulbs in the trash. If a flourescent bulb breaks, DO NOT attempt to clean it up. Call our department at (405) 744-7241 to handle the clean up. The two most common types of energy-efficient lighting that contain mercury are high intensity discharge (HID) bulbs and flourescent bulbs including compact flourescent light (CFL) bulbs. The small amount of mercury present in these types of light bulbs are still potentially toxic to humans if inhaled or ingested. 


Examples of common waste electric lamps include, but are not limited to:

  • Flourescent
  • High intensity discharge
  • Neon
  • Mercury vapor
  • High pressure sodium
  • Metal halide 
  • Specialty lamps that are used for streetlights, floodlights, parking lots, industrial lighting and some automobile headlights

Standard incandescent bulbs are non-hazardous and can be placed in either regular trash or a container for broken glass.



Storm drains are pipes that remove rain water from our streets, which then flows directly to the closest creek or stream.


  • Only rain water should enter storm drains
  • Oil or chemicals disposed into a storm drain or drainage ditch will flow, untreated, directly into the water of the state
  • One quart of motor oil can contaminate 250,000 gallons of water


The Clean Water Act, passed in 1972, prohibits the discharge of any pollutant to navigable waters from a point source unless the discharge was authorized by a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit. In accordance with this act, EHS conducts stormwater inspections of the active construction sites on campus to maintain compliance with state and federal regulations. Stormwater inspections are conducted after major rain events and help educate university construction personnel on requirements for preventing disturbed soil from entering the water of the state. 


Sharps Waste

Sharps are items capable of punctering, cutting, or abrading the skin. Examples include broken glass, test tubes, or petri dishes and items such as razor blades, needles, and syringes. Sharps waste contaminated with hazardous chemicals must be placed into puncter-resistant containers and properly labeled. All contaminated sharps waste needs to be autoclaved and inventoried on a Request for Chemical Removal form, so EHS can provide proper disposal. 


Clean, uncontaminated broken glassware and plastic sharps should be placed in a corrugated cardboard box or other strong disposal container. Disposal containers used for this purpose should not exceed 20 pounds. When ready for disposal, the box should be taped shut and labeled as "Sharp Objects/Glass Discard" or similar wording. Do not place sharps, broken glass, or related items in recycle bins.


For More Information

Battery Disposal

Chemical and Material Removal Request

Gas Cylinder Fact Sheet

Satellite Accumulation Area Surveys

Satellite Accumulation Containers

Back To Top
SVG directory not found.