Skip to main content

Environmental Health And Safety

Open Main MenuClose Main Menu

Open Flame Safety

Any use of open flame on university property with the exception of grills and cutting torches requires an Open Burn Permit. The use of candles and open flames is not allowed in campus buildings, on university grounds, or in association with university-sponsored events or functions. Exceptions can be requested through the University Fire Marshal. 


Open Burn Permits

In accordance with the requirements of the International Fire Code (Sec. F-403.4.2), written permission is required before the ignition of any open burning upon state-owned property.


The following is a list of activities that require an Open Burn Permit:

  • Recognized range of wildfire management practices or prevention to control disease or pests. A Burn Plan is also required in this case. 
  • Providing heat for outdoor workers.
  • Bonfires and indoor religious ceremonies or activities involving open flames, candles or incense 

The application must be submitted at least 10 working days prior to the date of the event.


Open Burn Permit Application


Grill Permits

Any use of portable grills on university property requires a Grill Permit. Applications for a Grill Permit must be submitted at least two business days prior to the date of the event. The use of fixed/installed grills does not require a permit.


Portable grills must be operated no closer than 20 feet from any university building or combustible materials. All grills, installed and portable, must be monitored at all times until they are cool to the touch. Portable grills must be placed on a non-combustible surface such as asphalt, cement or gravel.


A portable fire extinguisher is required at grill sites and must be readily accessible for use. Do not remove any installed portable fire extinguisher from any building. Do not place hot coals into trash cans or dumpsters.


Grilling Permit Application


Hot Work

Any work on campus that will produce sparks or is accomplished using open flames requires a Hot Work Permit. Requests for Hot Work Permits must be submitted at least 24 hours in advance through the Facilities Management Customer Portal. 


The following information must be provided at the time of request:

  • Location of hot work
  • Date and time 
  • Point of contact

Emergency requests for hot work will be handled on a case-by-case basis.


Hot Work Permit Application

Back To Top
SVG directory not found.